Trong bài thi TOEIC có rất nhiều dạng bài khoá như thông báo (notices), thư (letters), biểu bảng (charts/ tables/ forms), bài báo (newspaper/ magazine articles) hay bài quảng cáo (advertisements) với những dạng bài tập khác nhau như hoàn chỉnh câu (incomplete sentences), và đọc hiểu trả lời câu hỏi (Reading comprehension). Trong bài viết nhỏ này tôi chỉ đề cập đến cách dạy và làm bài Reading Comprehension trong bài thi TOEIC. Các bước như sau:
Người học Đọc Thật Nhanh Các Câu Hỏi Trước Khi Đọc Bài Khoá (scanning). Người học xác định dạng câu hỏi cần trả lời trước theo thứ tự sau:
1. Câu hỏi tìm thông tin chi tiết, không có từ phủ định (Specific information (positive)). Ví dụ:
Questions 1-3 refer to the following letter.
3254 Turney Road
- This letter is thank you for your application to join our intenational sales team. Unfortunately, we must inform you that due to the large number of highly-qualified applicants that applied for the position of Eastern European sales representative, we have already filled all the positions that were advertised in the May issue of the Human Resources Bulletin.
- As you know, administrative and marketing positions in our European and Asia- Pacific offices regularly become available during the year and we would welcome your application for future international postings.
p.p Benjamin Weintraub
Human Resources Manager
John Teirney & Sons Ltd.
1. For whom is this letter intended?
(A) Alberto Romero
(B) Benjamin Weintraub
(C) John Teirney
(D) Alex Andreas
2. What kind of job does the applicant want?
(A) Human resources
3. Where did Mr. Romero want to work?
(A) In Britian
(B) In NorthAmerica
(C) In Eastern Europe
(D) In Asia
2. Câu hỏi từ vựng (Vocabulary questions). Đối với những câu hỏi dạng từ vựng, người học phải trả lời nhanh chóng và sử dụng khả năng đoán nghĩa (guessing ability) của từ theo ngữ cảnh. Ví dụ:
Question 4 refers to the following notice.
Notice to all guests of the Glenvale Inn
The management of the Glenvale Inn would like to apologize to all its guests for any inconvenience caused by our remodeling efforts. We assure you that the greatest efforts are being made to ensure all public spaces are kept immaculately clean, that all guests are provided with courteous professionalism, and that noise is kept to a minimum.
During the remodeling, we are also offering all guests 10% off their bill and 10% off their next stay as well, when the remodeling is complete.
Our new and improved facilities
- A 24-hour coffee bar in the lobby with a menu that will feature all your favourite specialty beverages as well as home-made baked goods.
- An expanded exercise room with spa and sauna will be available to melt away any chill you get on the slopes, plus personal trainers on hand for workouts or lessons in skiing or snowboarding.
- A massage salon will relieve any aches from your exercise in our gym or on the mountain.
- 20 log cabins, each complete with antique furnishings and bay windows overlooking the scenic valley and the main hotel building, will provide a little extra privacy but with all the amenities of one of our suites.
Once again, the management thanks you for your patronage and patience.
4. The word “feature” in paragraph 3, line 1 is close st in meaning to
3. Câu hỏi ý chính/ ý suy ra của bài (Main idea/ Inference questions).
Trong phần tìm ý chính của bài (Main idea questions), người học cần dựa vào các ý đã trả lời trong phần tìm thông tin chi tiết để tìm ra ý chính cả bài.
Trong phần tìm ý suy ra từ bài khoá (Inference questions), vì câu trả lời không được nêu trực tiếp nên người học tìm từ, ý tương đương hoặc liên quan tới các câu trả lời lựa chọn, đồng thời loại bỏ các lựa chọn sai.
Questions 5-6 refer to the following letter.
It was a great pleasure to speak with you on the phone last week regarding our new product line that we will be introducing next year in Europe. Unfortunately, at that time, I was unable to confirm the anticipated launch date for the New Health line and the expected level of marketing support this product will receive.
I am now able to confirm that the launch date for our new range in our non-U.S. markets will be April 1. Prior to this date we will be launching a major marketing campaign for our new products which will include the placing of two-page spreads in leading health and fashion magazines, and TV advertisements. We are expecting to shortly confirm a well-known international model as the face for the campaign.
I will be coming to London early next month ans I was wondering if we could meet to discuss our products and pricing strategies in more detail? I will be able to supply you with more information about not only the New Health line, but also the other facial and body moisturizing products that we offer.
I look forward to meeting you and discussing this sales opportunity with you further.
5. What is the purpose of this letter?
(A) To thank someone for a meeting held lastweek
(B) To confirm the launch dates for a produce line
(C) To request information on future marketing strategies
(D) To describe the ingredients in a skin care product
6. What can be inferred about the New Health product line?
(A) It is aimed at women.
(B) It will be very expensive.
(C) It will send well.
(D) It relates to skin care.
4. Câu hỏi tìm thông tin chi tiết, có từ phủ định (Specific information (negative)).
Đây là dạng câu hỏi cần nhiều thời gian để trả lời nhất, vì vậy cần trả lời sau cùng. Ví dụ:
Question 7 refers to the following memo.
To: All staff
From: Dave Perrett
Re: Trip to Breakout Adventure Center
As promised, here’s the revised schedule for next week activities. I’ve spoken to the staff at the center and they’ve agreed that the changes can be made at no cost. See you all bright and early on Monday morning in the staff parking lot. (Please be there by 8:00 A.M. as the bus will depart promptly at 8:15.)
Date Time Activity Place
Mon May 16 Noon Arrival Center
7:00 P.M. Barbeque Beach
Tue May 17 All day Hiking Holden Forest
Wed May 18 A.M. Canoeing Axe Lake
P.M. Surfing/ Wind surfing Axe Lake
Thu May 19 All day Mountain Biking Center/ Axe Valley
9:00 P.M. ‘Music Night’ Center
Fri May 20 All day Mountain Climbing Center/ Axe Valley
Paragliding* Stratton Hill
7:00 P.M. Barbeque Beach
There is a maximum of 12 people for this activity, so sign up early.
7. What is NOT stated in the memo?
(A) Canoeing will take place after hiking.
(B) Water sports will be held at Axe Lake.
(C) Both barbeques are at the beach.
(D) Participants can go paragliding and mountain climbing.
- Sau khi đã xác định các dạng câu hỏi cần trả lời trước, học viên cần :
+ Tìm từ chìa khoá (key words) trong từng câu hỏi.
+ Đọc bài khoá, tìm từ, ý chính trong bài để chọn đáp án đúng nhất.
Tài liệu tham khảo
1. Tactics for TOEIC – Listening and Reading Test by Grant Trew, Oxford University Press, 2007
2. New Headway English Course – Pre-Intermediate (student’s book, workbook, teacher’s book) by John and Liz Soars, Oxford University Press, 2000
3. International Express – Pre-Intermediate (student’s book, teacher’s resource book) by Liz Taylor, Oxford University Press, 2004
4. www.ets.org/toeic/, www.toeic.com.vn/